I’m excited to announce that my short story, “A Room at the Marlborough,” first published in The Fiddlehead, Issue No. 275, will be included in the 2019 edition of Best Canadian Stories, forthcoming from Biblioasis.
recent and forthcoming Writing
Story Upcoming in Best Canadian Stories 2019
I’ve had several literary reviews in EVENT magazine, including one forthcoming in the Fall 2019 issue. Here’s my most recent one about Rachel Giese’s nonfiction book “Boys,” and Claire Tacon’s novel “In Search of the Perfect Singing Flamingo.” https://www.eventmagazine.ca/2019/02/cathy-stonehouse-reviews-new-novels-by-rachel-giese-and-claire-tacon-for-issue-47-3/
New poems and stories
A series of my poems entitled “Old English Songs” from a new manuscript in process won first prize in the SubTerrain magazine LUSH Triumphant contest earlier this year. http://subterrain.ca/
A story, “A Room at the Marlborough” was published in The Fiddlehead. https://thefiddlehead.ca/issue/275
essay Dead Baby, Imperfect Baby: A Meditation with Dolls”
I am happy to have an essay, “Dead Baby, Imperfect Baby: A Meditation with Dolls” included in the wonderful new anthology How to Expect What You’re Not Expecting, edited by Jessica Hiemstra and Lisa Martin-DeMoor out from TouchWood Editions in the fall of 2013.
review Carmen Rodrigues’s “Retribution”
Read my review of Carmen Rodrigues’s novel Retribution in the Literary Review of Canada.
review “not being on a boat” and “The Water Man’s Daughter”
My review of two novels, Esme Claire Keith’s not being on a boat, and Emma Ruby-Sachs’s The Water Man’s Daughter will be published in the upcoming issue of Event magazine.
review “Every Time We Say Goodbye”
Read my review of Jamie Zeppa’s novel “Every Time We Say Goodbye” in the Literary Review of Canada.
Story “Something about the Animal”
and accompanying essay in The New Quarterly 118
Also check out my comments in the Who’s Reading What section of their website:
- Story, “A Little Winter,” story in Best Canadian Stories 2010 (Oberon Press, 2011)
- Essay, “Truth, Dare, Kiss, Command or Promise: Fragments of a Life” in What My Father Gave Me (Annick Press, 2010) and Perfectly Secret (Annick Press, 2004)
- Poems in White Ink: Poems about Motherhood (Demeter Press, 2008)
- Essay “Acting Lessons” in You Be Me (Annick Press, 2002)
- Essay “In the Absence of Grace” in Beyond the Small Circle: Dropped Threads 3 (Random House, 2006)
- Story “That’s My Girl” in eye wuz here (Douglas and McIntyre, 1995)